Want to learn about the most innovative technologies in the bioeconomy? The BioProducts Institute (BPI) is looking for techno-economic analysis experts.
We are looking for experienced professional/consultant(s) who can help speed the development of clean tech chemical and chemical-biological innovations enabling bio-economy transformation. The ideal candidate is able to translate applied research into engineering processes, conduct preliminary risk-assessment-driven techno-economic analysis and identify the most significant uncertainties surrounding the technology's technical and commercial potential.
Examples of the types of activities:
- Translate applied research into engineering processes.
- Communicate, question, and discuss with the project-specific team (e.g., principal investigators, industry advisors and researchers) to gather the project requirements and clarify all aspect of the assessed process.
- Benchmark the technology being assessed with existing incumbent technologies and established similar technologies.
- Understand the unique features of bio-based technologies/innovations - that use biomass and other biological types of feedstocks.
- Conduct a preliminary pre-FEED (Front End Engineering Design) study.
- Where possible, connect or consult with other experts and industry to gather information for reliable assumptions on the process design.
- Deliver a TEA report that clearly states the process scheme, capacity, process mass and energy flows, the OPEX and CAPEX results, and all considerations and assumptions.
- Calculate the IRR (Internal Rate of Return) and NPV (Present Net Value). Other indicators are also welcomed.
- Perform sensitivity analysis for all parameters that can impact the technology's feasibility (technical and commercial) on the IRR or NPV, depending on the preference of the project-specific team.
- Perform uncertainty analysis for all risk parameters on the IRR or NPV depending on the preference of the project-specific team.
- Critically analyze the results and propose the next steps for technology de-risking.
These are collaborative type projects where the professional, consultant or consulting firm will work closely with the project-specific team. Thus, facilitation and communication skills are fundamental. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume to contact.BPI@ubc.ca by January 17th, 2023.
- BPI Operations Team