ORANGE SHIRT DAY - INTERGENERATIONAL MARCH
September 30, 2022, 11:30 am to 2:30 pm
Meet at Pulp & Paper Centre Lobby, 2385 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z4
ABOUT THE EVENT
Orange Shirt Day is a day to honour and uphold Survivors and intergenerational Survivors of the Indian residential school system, and to commemorate those who didn’t return home. On September 30th, UBC will be holding an Intergenerational March to commemorate Orange Shirt Day led by the Faculties of Applied Science and Land & Food Systems. The event will open at the Indian Residential School History & Dialogue Centre (near IKB Library) and conclude at the Engineering Cairn.
BPI EDI.I Committee is organizing a meetup for BPI members to gather and walk together to join the march. We will meet at the Pulp & Paper Centre at 11:30am from where Akash Gondaliya and Anderson Veiga (Co-chairs of BPI EDI.I Committee) will guide us to the main event location.
Please RSVP by fillling out the below form. The first 30 people among those who sign up by Sep 25th AND attend the event will receive the official t-shirt designed by Musqueam artist Darryl Blyth for this year's Orange Shirt Day. All the profits from the t-shirt sales will go to the Orange Shirt Society and the Indian Residential School Survivor Society. The winners will be notified via email by Sep 26th and their t-shirts will be available for pick up at the meetup at PPC.
- 11:30 AM: Meet at the Pulp & Paper Centre (2385 East Mall), pick up your t-shirt and walk to the Indian Residential School History & Dialogue Centre
- 12:00 PM: Event starts
- 12:05 PM: Opening by Elder Doris Fox from Musqueam
- 12:20 PM: Tsatsu Stalqya (Coastal Wolf Pack) perform
- 12:30 PM: March begins with placards and informational signage along both sides of Main Mall
- 1:15 PM: At the Reconciliation Pole we will hear from Elder John Jones and Elder Yvonne Rigsby Jones, members of the Snuneymuxw First Nation and the Indian Residential School Survivors Society
- 1:35 PM: Closing words
- 1:45 PM: March continues back down Main mall to the Engineering cairn outside the Kaiser building
- 2:00 PM: Elders, children and others can add messages of support, solidarity and handprints to the cairn
- 2:30 PM: Intergenerational March concludes
We hope to see you all at the event. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact us at email@example.com.
- BPI EDI.I Committee (Co-chairs: Daniela Figueroa, Akash Gondaliya, Yalan Liang, Adriana Manso, Marina Mehling, Titichai Navessin, Kelley Oh, Gregory Paradis, Orlando Rojas, Sumi Siddiqua, Qingshi Tu, Heather Trajano, Anderson Veiga, Shiva Zargar)
REGISTRATION FOR BPI ORANGE SHIRT DAY MARCH
Please fill out the below form to register for the event.