BPI’s research facilities span across UBC’s campus including many state-of-the-art research labs and centres:
AMPEL is a vibrant place for research in Advanced Materials and Process Engineering with cutting edge research that coalesces from the theoretical nanofibre physical properties to the production of advanced composites.
The central facilities consist of:
- Surface and Interface Analysis Laboratory with various forms of electron and ion beam spectroscopy.
- High head area for process engineering experiments. The high head area provides laboratory space for large scale experiments such as casting of metals and alloys, preparation of ceramics, plasma spray oxide coatings, fluidization, and a steel run out mill.
- Nanofabrication and Cleanroom facility with apparatus for electron beam and optical lithography, thin film coating methods, electronic device fabrication.
- Machine Shop facility (co-sponsored by ICICS), consisting of an NC-equipped Machine Shop and a Small Tools Shop with versatile modelmaking capabilities.
- Metallurgical materials testing laboratory with facilities.
- Electron microscopy facility with scanning electron microscopes, transmission electron microscopes.