After a yearlong preparation, the China-Canada Joint Centre for BioEnergy Research & Innovation (C-C JCBERI) was opened on August 15, 2015, with an official announcement at the 5th International Conference on Biorefinery (www.icbb2015.org). The Centre was initiated in 2014 by Prof. Tony Bi at UBC and Prof. Tianwei Tan at Beijing University of Chemical Technology (BUCT).
Following an official visit by UBC’s Vice President John Hepburn in October 2014 to BUCT, a MOU was signed in April 2015 between President Arvind Gupta and President Tianwei Tan.
The Centre will provide a platform to foster bioenergy technology development, maturation, demonstration and commercialization through collaboration in both Canada and China.
The C-C JCBERI is hosted by UBC in Canada and BUCT in China. In addition to research institutions, partners include companies, not-for-profit organizations and stakeholders in the bioenergy sector in both countries. The collaboration involves more than 50 faculty from UBC, BUCT and nine other Chinese institutions. The Directors of the Centre are Dr. Xiaotao Bi of UBC’s Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and President Tianwei Tan of BUCT.
• UBC-Chemical and Biological Engineering Department
• UBC-Mechanical Engineering Department
• UBC- Faculty of Forestry
• UBC – Faculty of Science
• Bioenergy Research and Demonstration Facility
• Clean Energy Research Centre
• BioEconomy Research, Innovation & Education
• Beijing University of Chemical Technology (National R&D Centre for Biorefinery)
• China University of Agriculture (National R&D Centre for Non-Food Biomass)
• Chinese Academy of Sciences – Guangzhou Institute for Energy Conversion (National R&D Centre for Liquid Biofuels)
• Chinese Academy of Sciences -Institute of Process Engineering (State Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering)
• East China University of Science & Technology
• Huazhong University of Science & Technology (State Key Laboratory for Coal Combustion)
• Hunan Academy of Forestry
• Nanjing Technical University
• Tianjin University
For more information, please contact:
Xiaotao (Tony) Bi
Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering